Sunday, April 1, 2012

Plans and Reality

So I had plans to "expand" on my post from last night. I have something I feel is far more important to discuss instead. I will instead talk with you (more accurately talk to you) about people. I strange topic perhaps but its meant to pique your curiosity so you keep reading. If it works great, if not don't tell me. Ignorance is bliss. :P

As I have said in my introductory post I do not enjoy people very much. This still holds true. The catch, however, is even if I do not enjoy interacting with most it is required and even commanded. Unable to sleep last night I decided to spend some time contemplating why I avoid people so much. It came to my attention that I do not dislike people. I love people and love interacting. What I dislike and detest so much is people's treatment of one another.

Now just to be clear, I am not excluding myself from this group. In fact it was my own treatment of people that led me to this. When I realized how cruel I was to people I became disgusted with myself. This was followed by the realization that everyone was doing it. Lying, cheating, slander, rumors, and open hostility were commonplace. When did we, as young people, decide that such cruelty was acceptable? I found myself talking poorly of everyone. Friends, people I knew, and enemies alike were victims of my words. Not long ago I made a promise to never again speak negatively of anyone and to make right with the people I had wronged. It saddens and frustrates me to see others doing what I used to. I wish I could say I was a better influence on them but I still struggle with it. All of this to say I love people and being around my friends but I hate the way we treat others. I could sit here all day and talk to you about why its wrong and what we should do instead, but it only makes sense to one who sees the truth.

I used to find excuses for why I said what I did about others. Some of my best were:
  • "They deserved it after what they did to me."
  • "That person is just weird so its okay to say this."
  • "I'm no friend of theirs so what does it matter if I talk about them behind their back?"
  • "I can say all this because its true. It doesn't matter how mean or cruel as long as it's true."
The truth is, we all down-talk someone every day. We don't always see it as such but that is pride and arrogance blinding us from the sin as it stands. What kind of a world would it be if we all withheld judgement and didn't spread other people's struggles and matters around? It doesn't matter if its true or not. The question you have to ask is, if it was you in their position would you want someone spreading something about you?

I can remember times where I heard what people were saying about me and all I could think of was what I could say back or to someone else to destroy my target's character and life. I was always scheming for ways to ruin reputations and break spirits by mercilessly spreading falsities.
I now seek to only ever tell the truth and to only ever honor people I come into contact with. It is the Biblical thing to do. And as a new man in Christ I can not continue those practices.

Now if you're reading this and think "I don't believe in the God stuff or being that religious" just ask yourself if its the morally right thing to do. Your conscience, if not completely seared and dead, should tell you that slander and rumor spreading are wrong whether its a "religious" thing or not.

So this feels very scattered and un-organized but you were warned. This flows from a mind of insanity.

I think next time I will touch on a similar subject. Maybe not. Maybe something about rain or trees or......

No comments:

Post a Comment