Thursday, April 12, 2012

Heart Of A Servant

Something that has weighed heavily on my mind is the definition of a servant's heart. What does that really mean? Who has it and what are the traits you know them by? Well let me tell you about what I think the servant's heart is and how to find it. 

A servant by definition is one who is commanded to do labor of some kind (doesn't have to be hard but that is usually implied) without pay or reimbursement of any kind. Well with that definition you've basically answered the question already. Someone who does what they are told to do without being paid for their time and effort. Okay this post is done, NEXT! 

Just kidding. 

I think in addition to doing what is told without pay it is about the attitude again. If you've read my other posts you'll see I have this thing for attitudes and purpose. I think a servant's heart is not only one who does what is required, but does so willingly and without coercion. You may ask a young person to help you carry groceries into your home and they begrudgingly put down what they were doing to help you. This is an obedient servant not a servant's heart. If however, that same young person meets you on the driveway and offers to help without being asked and no thought of reward, that is a servant's heart for its part. 

Being a servant hearted person also means doing the jobs nobody else wants to do. Cleaning dishes after a wedding is not my favorite thing in the world to do. I, along with others, have however done so because it was a kind thing to do and it needed to be done. We did not get paid for our labor and we certainly weren't asked to do the job, but a love for the couple and people in general calls us to do things that we wouldn't normally do. 

There are other kinds of servant's hearts out there. It doesn't always mean physical labor or doing something with your hands. A lot of times yes, but not always. I think about friends and others I know who serve in other unique ways. I think about my fellow "nice guys" and how often we listen to the troubles of our friends. The girl problems our fellow guys have and the guy problems our female friends have. We don't have to listen to the entire story or hear how it hurt to hear a boyfriend tell you those things. It is certainly not required that we listen to how a pretty girl just crushed your heart and you've got nothing left. We listen because of a servant's heart and a love for our friends. 

I've been on both ends and let me tell you, its a great service. If you're the one reaching out, that one person who listens when all others have their backs turned is like a miracle from heaven. And if you're the one listening, just think about how you would feel if you needed someone to talk to and nobody answered. 

I recently read an article from a college newspaper where the author was ranting and raving about how the "nice guys" never get any recognition or appreciation for what they do. It kept talking about how the nice guy deserved some sort of recognition and was "owed" something. I will admit I sometimes think like that and feel like I should be recognized for my work, but then I remember that if I want to call myself a servant hearted person, I should want or expect no pay or reimbursement for what I do. It is all done out of a love and care for others. Selflessness is the foundation of a servant's heart. So to ask for recognition of being the good guy who always listens and always helps out is to remove one of the best parts about being the good guy and why we are there in the first place. 

I am using this example because the article was focused on this topic primarily, but if I as a nice guy, was to require some form of payment or special acknowledgement for listening to a young lady talk about her problems, am I really helping? Does requiring some form of payment really make my service a service anymore? I say no. The young lady came to you in the first place because you are kind and you do not require payment to be a good friend and listen. If she had known you wanted some form of payment or special acknowledgement do you think she would reach out to you for help? No. You would just be another problem in her time of need. 

So I tell all you "nice guys" and "sweet girls" out there that if you listen to a friend spill their heart or troubles out to you, don't expect anything in return. Listening is not that hard and helping when you can is not a challenge. Have a servant's heart and be willing to help with no thought of reward. It is a great relief to your friends to know they can reach out to you and know that you care. The reward that is given is a stronger friendship and helping them through a hard spot. You also receive the reward of inward joy knowing you were there to help. If you are a real friend you shouldn't need anything more. 

If you still think you need some sort of reward for your time, labor, work, etc. then perhaps you are not the servant hearted person you claim to be.

This has been on my mind and may even be a bit offensive to some, but I have spoken the truth from my heart and that is all one can do. 

Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment